Legal basis for collecting and processing data
The IBTS collects and processes donor information in the course of its activities in order to comply with its legal obligations under
- SI 78/65: The Blood Transfusion Service Board (Establishment) Order, 1965
- SI 360/05: European Communities (Quality and Safety of Human Blood and Blood Components) Regulations 2005
- SI 158/06: European Communities (Quality and Safety of Human Tissues and Cells) Regulations 2006
and the associated EU Directives.
- Directive 2002/98/EC: 'Setting the standards of quality and safety for the collection, testing, processing, storage and distribution of human blood and blood components and amending Directive 2001/83/EC'.
- Directive 2004/23/EC 'Setting standards of quality and safety for the donation, procurement, testing, processing, preservation, storage and distribution of human tissues and cells'.
The information we collect and process is required to ensure the safety of both our donors and the patients who receive our blood and tissue products.